David wants ranked: Best Quotes.
We’re limiting these mailbag rankings to five entrants, which is borderline criminal when it comes to UConn quotes. Blessed with the lengthy tenures of Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma, the philosophical musings of Kevin Ollie, the general insanity of Bob Diaco, and the mere existence of Charles Okwandu, Husky fans have been treated to a near-infinite amount of amazing, enlightening and just plain bizarre soundbites. Here are five of my favorites.
“This is what happens when you ban us.” – Shabazz Napier
One of UConn’s all-time greats burns down the NCAA while its President stands next to him. I want this quote on my tombstone.
“We shocked the world!” – Khalid El-Amin
A perfect ending to the single best basketball game ever played.
“Get some facts and come back and see me.” – Jim Calhoun
This quote is great because it is universally usable. You can shout this at any person at any time and it always works.
“We’re gonna take the stairs and not the escalator because the escalator is for cowards.” – Kevin Ollie
The most iconic of Ollie’s Ollieisms. Inspired average miscellaneous twitter account @NoEscalators.
“Some of our fans are so goddamn stupid it’s unbelievable.” – Geno Auriemma
It’s funny because it’s true.
You all thought you were getting the “not a dime back,” quote, didn’t you? Nope.
Jalletto wants ranked: the UConn logos.
Thanks for this question, Jalletto, because it gives me a chance tor remind Russ that he is wrong about this, as he is about all things.
Here is the correct ranking of the UConn logos.
- 80s-90s logo: This is the OG UConn logo. The one Yell and Ray and Lobo wore. It’s the best.
- The aughts to 2013. It’s almost the same at the previous logo, but it’s even goofier goofy Jonathan, and that is a great thing.
- 1950s Jonathan is the height of derpiness, and it is glorious.
- Musket Husky is ridiculous, and he looks so happy to be some sort of minuteman dog.
- Current logo. It’s Nike-ified, and not my dog and I’ll never be happy about it. Generic af
Jeff wants ranked: Best obscure Twitter replies
What a weird request. In order to do this, I went back at my mention’s and A Dime Back’s mentions over the last few days and found the 10 most obscure. Here they are, in reverse order because that’s more fun:
10. This was to set up a comment about me being short. BOOOOOOO!:
@Russ_Steinberg Hi Russ
— John Enright (@johnenright43) April 12, 2016
9. Random as hell:
— Jalletto (@jalletto) April 12, 2016
8. What kind of monster pours his milk first? Do people actually do this? I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR THESE MONSTERS:
— William Richardson (@WilliamRichJr) April 11, 2016
7. Actually not an obscure tweet at all, but it’s important information:
— Kyle Constable (@KyleConstable) April 8, 2016
6. If you know me at all, you know I love awful puns:
@Russ_Steinberg “Let us Russell up some candidates.”
— Chris Baker (@Big_Bake93) April 13, 2016
5. Totally random. Also, Yogi:
@ADimeBack what kind of bear is best?
— Jon Scannell (@jonscannell) April 12, 2016
4. You hear that? Above average! Mom I made it!:
@Russ_Steinberg and for the record, you are – to date – an above average journalist. Good facts and the humor elevates stature.
— Don Tinker (@dontinker) April 13, 2016
3. This is the official position of A Dime Back dot com:
— Chris Licata (@Licatacs) April 13, 2016
2. You want to land high on a rankings list? Invite me to Stonehenge.
— Mike Melio (@EnzosDad) April 8, 2016
1. If you get this tweet, you know why it’s No. 1. If not, please ask (shout Puneet!):